Friday September 28, 2018

Romans 1:10 …always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God’s will I may now at last succeed in coming to you.

Today was a long, but fun day, filled with emotional ups and downs. The kids had their last day of school today, I had my last day of work at the school, and since Jeff finished yesterday he spent the day cleaning the house and getting the packing started and laundry done. School for me was fun, but emotional too. The class bombarded me with hugs and well wishes and the child I worked with during this time gave me such a big hug and my heart was filled with so much joy. Today just confirmed for me that God’s will allowed me to succeed at being helpful to a student that needed assistance even if I didn’t speak the same language. This was truly touching and moving in ways beyond my imagination.

David commented how much he is going to miss school and his new friends. Now the funny part about this statement is that David hasn’t complained much during our stay here and has pretty much just gone with the flow, but the few times he did complain, it was about getting up and going to school because it was boring—so when he mentioned how much he is going to miss it, Jeff and I were a bit shocked. All of the kids received parting gifts from classmates, hugs, and well wishes. Anjali received gifts of lotion, stationary, and sweets, in addition to email addresses from the students in her class.

Anjali and David’s presentation/project was due today. They provided us with a great presentation, though there were areas that needed to be worked for the next one. They seemed to have really put effort and time into this project, and best of all I think they have a greater appreciation for all that goes into planning a trip and how quickly money is spent. This was a great project for them to work on together and it gave them a chance to impart to us things that they were interested in doing during this year.

A few errands were needed today, including sending a box of souvenirs back to the states and a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up the last few items that we will need for the weekend. We got home, made a quick pizza dinner for everyone, and cleaned up for Octoberfest in Schönebeck with René, Susi, Johannes and Birgit.

We started with a bottle of champagne outside the apartment and then set off on foot to the party! It was such a fun night, best of all was spending time with great people. We drank Liters of Beer, listened to really loud music, danced on benches, laughed, danced and laughed some more. It was a fun night that ended with a conversation between Jeff and René and the mayor of Schönebeck, Bürgermeister Knoblauch.

The only disappointment tonight was coming home at midnight to find all three of our children awake and waiting for us. We left them home by themselves and while they were all safe and didn’t burn down the apartment, they were still awake and were going to be very tired in the morning.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s